Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The New Frazetta Book



I just received the new limited edition courtesy of David Spurlock, the publisher. Here is the email I sent him as my immediate response to the book:
Dave,

Thanks for the book. 

I must say that it is a very well designed and thoughtfully crafted volume. The scale of the book is quite impressive.  I really appreciated the opening pages that hearkened back to the first Frazetta Ballantine volume. A nice touch. I am not surprised that this volume sold out so quickly.  It is well-priced and the content is well worth the cost. I loved seeing the larger presentations and the inclusion of the roughs that initiate the creative process. I think this will appeal to the newer generations of Frazetta fans. The Frazetta legacy, quite frankly, would simply wither and die on the vine if the only ongoing exposure appeared on the internet. There is so much misinformation and so many self-appointed "experts" that generate conclusions based on so many faulty premises. It is disheartening to see so many forgeries accepted as authentic. The legacy of Frank Frazetta depends on published books produced by knowledgable people who genuinely care and people who are passionate. This book is clearly the result of a publisher's passion, your passion, David! You have produced an extraordinary series of Frazetta volumes. Bravo. I thank you for all your efforts and ongoing commitment to the importance of Frank's work. And I want to thank Frank Jr for his relentless commitment to preserving his dad's memory and significance in the world of art history.

Well done, Dave!!!

DocDave