Thursday, November 10, 2011

More Frazetta NINA Panels





Here are 4 more panels that precede the tier I wrote about in the previous postings. There are two other panels that have vanished. I don't have a reproduction of any kind in my archives. Someone either swiped them or bought them from Frank. Alas, the visual record will always be incomplete. Two of these panels were first published in the 1977 Frazetta MEMORY BOOK. The others were published by Arnie Fenner. It's important to preserve a good visual record of such originals. I notice that there are a LOT of forgeries floating around these days. I see people paying good money for carefully contrived inauthentic sketches. CAVEAT EMPTOR always when buying Frazetta items. Don't ask me to authenticate items, please. It's not my job. I'm not getting paid and there is little I can do about the problem.

8 comments:

  1. It seems Frank may have modeled the pilots after Al Williamson and Roy Krenkel, as there is a likeness (and I've never before seen these--thanks!). Here's a panel which probably follows the closeup of the pilots:

    http://tinyurl.com/7makeym

    I found it online, so I don't know where it saw print(perhaps in WITZEND?).

    Enjoy!

    Alec

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good find! That is one of the missing panels. The very first panel shows a plane flying by itself. All the inking is spectacular.

    DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's a print from the Heritage auction site. I've seen better scans, as this doesn't do justice to the gorgeous inks, but it's better than nothing:

    http://tinyurl.com/6nd46mm

    For those who don't know, this is the "Beauty and the Beast" print which was originally the logo illustration for Frazetta's proposed "Nina" Sunday comics page.

    Alec

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doc, How old was frank when he produced these fine panels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This material is beautiful beyond belief. Thanks so much for posting it up.

    kev

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://tinyurl.com/9usx69r

    The Frazetta drawings in the above link remind me a bit of the panels with the pilots in the "Nina" sequence above. Any idea what the linked panels were for? Another unfinished E.C. Picto-Fiction story (like "Came the Dawn")?

    Best regards,

    Alec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alec, the Frazetta panels are from a later EC story he did with Williamson.

    ReplyDelete