Thursday, December 1, 2011

Frazetta: A Dog's Best Friend


Previously unpublished and seen in its entirety for the very first time. I put this story back together many, many years ago. I bought the splash from a Russ Cochran auction, and found page two in a Guernsey's auction several years later. This is the last interior comic book story drawn by Frank. It was supposed to run right after the CINDY IS SAVED story that I posted earlier.

I brought it down to Frank to have him sign the second page. He did. When he finished, he raised a partially wet coffee cup to take a sip and, of course, two big drops of water slid off the bottom of the cup and directly hit the partially wet signature. Such is fate, eh? Frank commented that he was relieved that coffee drops didn't hit it. He said: "Let's leave it. If I try to fix it, it will smudge. You got yourself another Frazetta story, Dave."

Actually, the smudged signature bothered the hell out of me. Frank decided he wanted to get the story back and offered me a trade for the nude bathing girl watercolor from 1962. I jumped at it.

The splash page originally had a big stain right in the middle of the page. It required a $1200 conservation job to remove it. Page two had several paste-overs covering some minor flaws. All in all, the inking and energy in these pages is pure Frazetta magic.

(c)2011 DocDave Winiewicz

8 comments:

  1. Cool story Dave, and thanks for something I've never seen before!!

    The thing that really gets me about Franks comic art,is the posturing and the way the bodies tell the story as much as the text. There are these subtle nuances a slight whimsical mischief to them and honestly it is something more than I see in other comics, it is only defineable as Frazetta, truly unique.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thanks for posting this one- it's fantastic. Looks like Carol the ballet dancer was the model for the girl's face. I love this blog and check it for a little perk every few days. I grew up in Las Vegas Nevada in the mid sixties. I spent my allowances and lawn mowing money sending away to New York City for back issues and subscriptions to Creepy, Eerie, and Blazing Combat. No other comics mattered to me. I'd run home every day to check to see if that manila envelope was in the mail. When it was the thrill of opening it to see the newest Frazetta cover was unparalleled. I started drawing because of Frank Frazetta. My career took me in many directions until I settled on Architectural Illustration, but having this blog to check on is so reminiscent of my youth that I really get a kick out of it.
    Thank you Dave for posting these fun and wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments!

    Those Frazetta comic stories from the 1950's are simply sensational. There is simply nothing like it.

    As for architectural art, I will be posting some of Frank's home renderings in a future post. I'm trying to gather together the images. The holidays are getting in the way of my searching. My wife keeps blocking my way with miniature snowmen and christmas trees!

    DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the figures' gestures and the storytelling as well as Frazetta's drawing of the canines, but the children's faces seem a bit weaker than those in "Cindy is Saved." Still a delight to see! He was probably just trying something different.

    I wonder why this one never saw print. "Cindy" was published in the Dec., '54 issue of HEROIC COMICS #94, and the title ran for three more issues (bi-monthly; #97 was cover-dated June, 1955).

    Alec

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, overall, the story is not as strong as the CINDY IS SAVED story. That CINDY story is simply priceless.

    I suspect it never saw publication because Frank was late on a deadline.

    DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are you Dave. I have quite a few of these rare drawngs in my personal collection.
    Frank JR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Frankie!! Glad to know that these weren't lost. They are exceptional pages. I know they were hanging in the dining room the last time I saw them.

    All the very best!

    DAVE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't possibly tell you how grateful I am to see this. I've only seen a bad stat of page one, and still wonder why these fabulous pages have not been reprinted in their full glory. Frazetta was at the peak of his penciling and inking prowess that year, in my opinion, and we fans have been cheated of this masterpiece for decades.

    ReplyDelete